"L'Isle de la Martinique"
Single sided 8 x 7 inch multi-colored map of the Caribbean Island of Martinique by Didier Robert de Vaugondy, circa 1749 Paris, France.
Double matted under glass in a 13 x 14 inch wood frame.
Gilles Robert de Vaugondy (1688-1766) also known as Le Sieur or Monsieur Robert, and his son Didier Robert de Vaugondy (1723-1786), were leading mapmakers in France during the 18th century.
They produced their maps and terrestrial globes working together as father and son. In some cases it is uncertain whether Gilles or Didier made a given map.
Gilles often signed maps as "M.Robert", while Didier commonly signed his maps as "Robert de Vaugondy" or added "Fils" or "filio" after his name.
The Robert de Vaugondys' were descended from Nicolas Sanson, considered by many to be the father of the French school of Cartography.